The Evidence Of Christ In You
Back in 1979, I wrote a little ditty while I was at a Christian
weekend Bible study. It went like this, in
short:
Christ in me, the hope of Glory.
Christ in you,
the hope of Glory.
Christ in us, the hope of Glory.
WE ARE MORE THAN CONQUERORS.
I still sing it today. That that little tune has gone around the world by believers is exciting to me.Those words came from Colossians 1:27, which speaks of “Christ in you, the hope of glory.” There is something powerful about those three little phrases: Christ in me. Christ in you. Christ in us. But there is a question that naturally follows them. If Christ is in us, what is the evidence?
It is easy to say, “Christ is in me.” It is easy to sing it, talk about it, teach it, and rejoice in it. But if it is a living reality, it should eventually become visible in the way we live. “Christ in you” is not merely knowing about Jesus Christ or saying His name. Scripture speaks of a living relationship with Him. Jesus said, John 14:20, “At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.” He also said in John 15:4, “Abide in me, and I in you.” So when we speak of Christ in us, we are talking about a relationship and union with Christ that is meant to affect our lives. The question, then, is not simply whether we can say that Christ is in us. The question is whether there is evidence of His presence in the way we think, speak, respond, and treat other people.
And this is exactly where 1 Corinthians 13 takes us. Most people know this chapter as “the love chapter,” and it is certainly about love. But we need to look at why Paul put these words where he did. He had been teaching the Corinthians about spiritual things, including spiritual manifestations and gifts. Then, in 1 Corinthians 12:31, he tells them, “But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.” What follows is not a disconnected collection of beautiful sayings. Paul is showing them something more important than spiritual ability. He is showing them the character that must accompany spiritual life.
He begins by stripping away the things that human beings might use as evidence that they are spiritually impressive. 1 Corinthians 13:1 says, “Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.” Think about that. A person can have an extraordinary ability to speak, and yet without love, that ability amounts to noise. The sound may be impressive, but there is no substance behind it.
Then Paul goes further in 1 Corinthians 13:2: “And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.” Prophecy. Understanding. Knowledge. Faith powerful enough to move mountains. Those are not insignificant things. Yet Paul says that without love, the person is nothing.
Then he takes it even farther. 1 Corinthians 13:3 says, “And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profits me nothing.” Even extraordinary generosity and tremendous personal sacrifice do not, by themselves, establish the evidence we are looking for. A person can give and still have the wrong heart. A person can sacrifice and still be motivated by something other than the love of God.
That ought to make us stop for a moment. If spiritual gifts are not the ultimate evidence, if knowledge is not the ultimate evidence, if faith is not the ultimate evidence, and if even sacrifice is not the ultimate evidence, then what is?
Paul answers by showing us what love looks like.
1 Corinthians 13:4 says, “Charity suffers long, and is kind.” There are two things right at the beginning that are remarkably practical. Love is patient, and love is kind. Patience is seen when we have to wait, when another person is difficult, when circumstances are frustrating, and when we do not get our own way. Kindness is seen in what we actually do toward another person. Neither one is merely an idea we carry around inside ourselves. They become visible in our conduct.
Paul continues: “Charity envies not.” Love does not look at another person's blessing, ability, opportunity, recognition, or success and become resentful because it belongs to someone else. If Christ is in me, then what happens when someone else is praised? What happens when someone else receives what I wanted? What happens when someone else is stronger in an area where I am weak? The evidence of Christ is not found in pretending that we never notice these things. It is found in what we do with what we notice.
“Charity vaunts not itself, is not puffed up.” Love does not have to advertise itself. It does not need to make itself look bigger by making someone else look smaller. It does not have to continually establish its own importance. This is especially important when we are talking about spiritual things, because spiritual knowledge can become a source of pride just as easily as anything else. Paul had already told them that a person could understand mysteries and have knowledge and still be nothing without love. Knowledge should never become an excuse for pride.
Then he says, “Doth not behave itself unseemly.” Love considers how its behavior affects other people. It does not use another person as a target simply because it has the power to do so. It does not deliberately humiliate, embarrass, or dishonor people. That does not mean love never corrects. Love can tell the truth. Love can confront wrong. Love can say no. But there is a difference between correcting someone because you genuinely want what is good for them and attacking someone because you want to hurt them.
Paul continues: “Seeks not her own.” That one reaches right into the heart. If everything always has to come back to me, my rights, my way, my recognition, my comfort, my victory, then I need to pay attention to what Scripture is showing me. Love is not centered on self.
“Is not easily provoked.” That does not mean a person will never become angry or that every response to wrongdoing must be passive. Scripture itself gives us examples of righteous anger and strong correction. The question is what governs us when we are provoked. Do we immediately lash out? Do we say things designed to wound? Do we allow anger to become an excuse for behavior that contradicts the character of Christ? If Christ is in me, then even my reactions become an area in which His character can be seen.
“Thinks no evil.” Love does not sit around keeping an internal record of every offense so that it can be brought out later as ammunition. That does not mean we become incapable of remembering what happened or discerning whether someone is trustworthy. It means we do not make another person's failures the foundation of our relationship with them.
Then Paul gives us another extremely important statement: 1 Corinthians 13:6 says, “Rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth.” Love does not call evil good simply because it wants to avoid conflict. Love does not celebrate unrighteousness. And truth is not the enemy of love. Love rejoices with truth because love wants what is genuinely good.
That matters because sometimes people create a false choice between truth and love. They act as though telling the truth cannot be loving, or as though loving someone requires us to approve everything that person does. Scripture does not give us that choice. Love rejoices in truth. Love does not rejoice in unrighteousness. We do not have to choose between loving a person and being truthful with that person.
Then Paul says, “Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” Love bears. Love believes. Love hopes. Love endures. That does not mean that love is gullible or that wisdom disappears. It means love does not give up on people simply because they are imperfect. It does not abandon what is good at the first sign of difficulty. It has endurance.
And then comes the statement that ties everything together: 1 Corinthians 13:8, “Charity never fails.” Paul has spent the first part of the chapter showing us that impressive spiritual abilities can exist without love. Now he tells us that love does not fail.
This brings us back to those words written in 1979: Christ in me. Christ in you. Christ in us. If Christ is in me, then what should people encounter when they encounter me? If Christ is in you, what should people encounter when they encounter you? And if Christ is in us, what should people encounter when they encounter us together?
The answer is not perfection. The answer is not that we will never make a mistake, never become impatient, never have to apologize, never need correction, or never have a moment in which we fail to live up to what we know. The evidence is that we are being shaped by the character of Christ. When we recognize that we have been wrong, we can admit it. When someone needs help, we can help. When truth needs to be spoken, we can speak it without using truth as a weapon. When someone else succeeds, we can rejoice with them instead of envying them. When we are hurt, we can choose not to make our hurt an excuse to hurt someone else.
That is where 1 John 3:18 gives us another important witness: “My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.” The Greek word used there is agapē. Biblical love is not merely something we say or feel; it is something we do, because genuine love makes itself visible through what we choose to do for others.
So when we sing, “Christ in me,” we should understand what we are saying. We are not merely making a statement about ourselves. We are saying that Christ is our life and that His character is to be expressed through the way we live. “Christ in you” means the same thing for you. And “Christ in us” means that when we come together as believers, the character of Christ should be evident in how we treat one another.
Jesus Himself gave us a way to recognize His disciples. In John 13:35, He said, “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” Notice what He did not say. He did not say people would know we were His disciples because we could impress them with our knowledge. He did not say they would know because we could demonstrate the most spectacular spiritual ability. He said they would know by the love we have for one another.
That brings us right back to 1 Corinthians 13. Paul is not giving us a sentimental description of a feeling. He is showing us a way of living. Patience can be seen. Kindness can be seen. Humility can be seen. Refusing to envy can be seen. Refusing to seek our own advantage at someone else's expense can be seen. Rejoicing in truth can be seen. Bearing, believing, hoping, and enduring can be seen.
That is evidence.
And there is another side to this. We must be careful not to turn “the evidence of Christ in you” into a measuring stick we use against everybody else while refusing to look at our own lives. The first person I have responsibility for is me. I cannot control another person's response to Christ, but I can look honestly at what Christ is producing in me. I can ask myself honest questions. Am I patient? Am I kind? Do I envy? Do I need to make myself look important? Am I easily provoked? Do I keep records of offenses? Do I rejoice when someone else is blessed? Do I rejoice in truth? Am I willing to endure when love becomes difficult?
Those questions are not there to condemn us. They are there to help us see what is actually being produced in our lives.
Paul does not stop with the qualities of love. He explains why they matter in the larger picture. 1 Corinthians 13:8–10 tells us that prophecies will fail, tongues will cease, and knowledge will vanish away. What we know now is partial. What we see now is not the whole picture. There are things we understand only in part. There are things we experience now that will not continue forever.
But love remains.
Then Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:11, “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” There is growth involved. We are not expected to remain where we started. Christ in us should produce growth in us.
And finally, Paul brings us to 1 Corinthians 13:13: “And now abides faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.”
Why is love the greatest? Because love reaches into the way we live with God and the way we live with one another. Faith matters. Hope matters. But love is the character that makes itself visible in our relationships, our choices, our words, our responses, and our actions.
Now I hope we can understand those words from my little ditty in a deeper way.
Christ in me.
Not merely a declaration. Not merely a song. Not merely something I say.
Christ in you.
Not merely something I assume about you. Something that should become visible in the way you live.
Christ in us.
Not merely a group of people saying the same words. A body of believers whose lives together show the character of Christ.
And then:
WE ARE MORE THAN CONQUERORS.
Romans 8:37 says, “Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.” Notice that the victory is “through him that loved us.” The love of Christ is not an afterthought to the victory. It is part of the very foundation of it.
So what is the evidence of Christ in you?
It is not how impressive you can appear. It is not how much you know. It is not how loudly you proclaim your faith. It is not even how much you are willing to sacrifice.
Look at 1 Corinthians 13.
Look at the patience. Look at the kindness. Look at the humility. Look at the truth. Look at the endurance. Look at the way you treat people when they cannot give you anything in return. Look at what happens inside you when someone else succeeds. Look at how you respond when you are wronged. Look at whether you can rejoice in truth without rejoicing in another person's failure.
That is where the evidence becomes visible.
Christ in me. Christ in you. Christ in us.
And if Christ is truly being lived in us, then the evidence will not have to be announced.
It will show.
✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️
Prayer
Holy Father, I praise You and worship You for who You are. You are holy, faithful, righteous, loving, and true. I thank You for Your love and for the life of Christ in me. I thank You that You have given me the privilege of knowing You, walking with You, and learning to live according to Your Word.
Father, help me to let the evidence of Christ be seen in my life. Teach me to be patient, kind, humble, truthful, forgiving, and willing to endure. Help me to examine my own heart honestly and to recognize where I need to grow. Let Your love govern my thoughts, my words, my actions, and the way I treat others. May Christ in me, Christ in you, and Christ in us become more than words we speak. May His character be visible in the way we live.
Thank You that Your love never fails. Thank You for faith, hope, and love, and for showing me that love is the greatest. I praise You for the victory I have through Christ, and I thank You that through Him I am more than a conqueror.
In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️
Don't take my word for it. Like the Bereans in Acts 17:11, search the Scriptures daily to see whether these things are so. Open your Bible, study God's Word for yourself, and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth. Don't simply accept my conclusions. If what I've written agrees with Scripture, hold fast to it. If it doesn't, let God's Word be your final authority.
If you liked this message, please leave a positive comment. I would love to hear from you!
© AMKCH 2026
image done by imagefree at my direction.
If any of these people looks like you or someone you know, that is purely coincidental. They are not.
✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️
.
Comments
Post a Comment
Welcome! Thank you for visiting! I look forward to your comments! However, ANY swearing, cursing, condemning or blasphemy comments will be deleted. If you liked what you read, please leave a comment! It really is encouraging. Please Subscribe to get your notifications when i post new messages! Thanks for visiting!